What Makes Us Different
You don’t have to give up hope to get hospice
Many patients and the loved ones who care for them say they wish hospice care had started sooner.
Comforting treatments for patients can continue
Treatments that provide our patients with comfort and relief can continue, uninterrupted, even after we’ve started providing hospice care.
We don’t require advance directive choices
We don’t require that advance directive choices be made such as a “do not resuscitate” order (DNR) or living will to begin providing hospice care.
When you need care, we're ready to provide it
Any day of the year, any time of the day, we can initiate hospice care for you or your loved one.
Our heart stretches across the nation
At any given time, we provide comforting care to thousands of patients in communities and neighborhoods across the country.
We’re accredited by ACHC
ACHC is the Accreditation Commission for Health Care. We’ve chosen to follow their additional requirements in order to help advance the highest standards of community-based care.
There to meet you on your journey
Wherever you are in your health care journey, we’re there to meet you.
We are mutual care providers
As mutual care providers, we work closely with your health care professionals to make sure specific protocols are followed closely.
Your Care Team
With ProMedica, hospice care takes a team approach, one that incorporates the patient, their loved ones and other health care professionals.
Your care team may include:
- Patients and families
- Hospice physician
- The patient's physician
- Nurse Practitioner
- Registered nurses
- Hospice aides
- Social worker
- Spiritual care coordinator
- Bereavement counselor
- Physical, occupational and speech/language therapists
Dr. John Emmel—Medical Director
- Credentials: MD
- Started Practicing: 1980
- Residency: Department of Family Medicine - Medical University of South Carolina
- Medical School: Brown University
- Medical Specialty: Geriatrics, Hospice and Palliative Care, Family Medicine
- Other Affiliations: American Board of Family Medicine, American Board of Post Acute and Long-Term Medicine, American Society of Addiction
Dr. Shenif (Shayne) Ladak—Team Physician
- Credentials: MD
- Started Practicing: 1998
- Academic Degrees and Universities: Health Studies, Honours Program - University of Waterloo; Faculty of Applied Health Sciences - University of Waterloo; Neuroscience Specialists Program, Faculty of Arts and Sciences - University of Toronto
- Medical School: Doctor of Medicine - McMaster Medical School (Ontario, Canada)
- Medical Specialty: Diagnostic Radiology, Anesthesia, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Practice or Clinic: Elite Patient Care
- Other Affiliations: Harvard Palliative Care Education and Practice Certification, Wound Clinicians Review - The Art and Science of Wound Care, American Board of Disability Analysts - Senior Diplomate, American Board of Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine, Board Certified Medical Director
Laura Livingston—Nurse Practitioner
- Credentials: ADN, BSN, FNP
- Academic Degree, School: Registered Nursing Program - Wayne County Community College; Bachelor of Science in Nursing - University of Michigan; Certificate in Nursing Education - University of Michigan School of Nursing; Family Nurse Practitioner - University of Michigan School of Nursing
- Medical Specialty: Family Nurse Practitioner
Leah Parrish—Nurse Practitioner
- Credentials: MSN, ACNP, BSN
- College(s) Attended: Vanderbilt University, University of NC at Wilmington
- Medical Specialty: Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
Sharon Rinehart—Director of Professional Services
- Credentials: RN, BSN
- Experience: 1981 - experience in hospitals, home health and hospice
- Academic Degree, School: Bachelor of Science in Nursing - University of South Carolina; Associate of Science in Nursing - Lander College
- Credentials: Bachelors in Health Science Administration
- Experience: Been with HCR ManorCare since 2014 - Arden Courts from 2014 - 2019; Heartland Hospice from 2019 - present
- Academic Degree, School: Bachelors in Health Science Administration - Florida Gulf Coast University
We Honor Veterans Program
Every day, ProMedica has the distinct honor of providing hundreds of U.S. military veterans with hospice care. We take pride in thanking our veteran patients with special recognition throughout the year.Learn More
Partners In Care
We collaborate with a variety of health care partners and organizations within our community to help improve access to high-quality care.
Our care teams try to exceed your expectations in every way. As part of our commitment to excellence, we measure the level of our service so that we can enrich the lives of our patients and the people who love them by delivering services that best meet their needs.